Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Beer Chili

One of my Weight Watchers cookbooks has a recipe called, "Beef, Black Bean, & Beer Chili". I love chili so I decided to try this one since it looked pretty simple & was different then my normal chili that called for kidney beans & tomato sauce. I did not have beef in the house so I used 99% fat free turkey (which brought the Points Plus down) and I omitted the oil because I usually just use a nonstick skillet with PAM. Whether you choose to make this recipe with my few alterations, or follow it exactly the way Weight Watchers makes it, I am sure you will not be disappointed! 

You will need:
1 teaspoon of canola oil (I omitted this)
3/4 pound ground lean beef (7% fat or less) (I used 1.3 lbs of 99% fat free ground turkey)
1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
1 cup light beer
1/2 teaspoon salt

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add meat, breaking apart & cooking until no longer pink. Add onion, garlic & chili powder and stir for about a minute until well incorporated. Add beans, tomatoes  beer & salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until chili is slightly thickened, 15 minutes. 

I added Siracha sauce to mine, 1 tablespoon of sour cream (1 P+) & crumbled up 1 hard shell taco & sprinkled it on top (1 P+). The original recipe says it makes 4 servings (1 cup is a serving), at 6 Points Plus each. With my alterations, the recipe made 7 servings at 4 Points Plus each (not including my sour cream or taco shell). 


No comments:

Post a Comment