Saturday, March 23, 2013

Healthy & Delicious Italian Dinner

Since I have been on spring break I have had more time on my hands, which for me, means more time to cook & bake! Wednesday night I steered away my usual one pot wonders and made dinner that actually had 3 different components to it. It's one of my favorite meals because I love fresh, healthy, Italian food. It's also pretty simple to make and tastes delicious! Here is what you will need:

Chicken:
Boneless, skinless chicken breast (as many ounces as you want to eat that night) (I had a 3oz piece)
Garlic, minced
Basil, chopped
Tomato, sliced
Mozzarella, shredded (or as I call it, "mootz") (I used a Weight Watchers 1pt cheese stick for mine)
Salt & pepper
*Instructions: Take your raw chicken breast & sprinkle it on both sides with salt, pepper, & garlic powder, then cook on a nonstick skillet on medium heat. Since I am a Weight Watchers member, after my chicken was cooked, I took it off the pan & weighed it to make sure I had 3oz (3 PointsPlus value). After weighing the chicken, return to pan & top with garlic, basil, tomato, & mozzerella. Cover pan until the mootz is melted & everything is heated through.

Green Beans:
Green beans (I used fresh)
Grape tomatoes, cut in half
Garlic, minced (as much as you like)
Olive Oil (1 tsp)
Salt & pepper, to taste
*Instructions: In a large pot, place your green beans with enough water to cover them & bring to a boil. Let them cook until they are as soft as you like them. Drain water. Add grape tomatoes, garlic, salt & pepper and olive oil. Toss to coat. Cover pot & leave it on the burner for a couple of minutes until everything is heated through.

Farro:
Farro (1 cup dry)
Mushrooms, chopped
Best Life Buttery Spread (1 Tbsp)
Parmesan (2 Tbsp)
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, to taste
*Instructions: Prepare farro according to package. Add in chopped mushrooms, butter, Parmesan, & spices.  Mix until butter is melted & all ingredients are well blended.

My whole meal was 9 Points Plus value. I had:
3oz chicken & 1 cheese stick: 4 Points Plus
Half of the green bean tomato mixture: 1 Points Plus
Farro (1/2 cup prepared): 4 Points Plus

*Some of my own recipes do not have exact measurements on certain ingredients because I usually just make things up as I go along & cook to taste. If there is anything I can clarify for you, please let me know! :)





2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Maybe you can make that again when we visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to that Ms JoAnn please invite me over..Lauren they both look yummy and healthy!!

    ReplyDelete