Thursday, March 14, 2013

Couscous Salad with Smoked Turkey & Apples for Two

If you're looking for a quick, healthy meal, this is it! It's great for the summer time because there isn't really much cooking involved & it's on the lighter side but is still very filling. This is the second time I've made this dish & my husband and I enjoyed it even more this time around (probably because I added more curry powder & well... we are just a spicy family)! This recipe is from the Weight Watchers Cookbook called "What To Eat Now." 

You will need:
3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (I used 2 full teaspoons in total)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 small apple, cored & diced
1/2 cup (2 ounces) diced, lean, low-sodium smoked skinless turkey breast (I used 4 ounces because upon entering it into my recipe builder, the extra 2 ounces did not add any extra Points Plus value!)
2 scallions, sliced (I did not have scallions in the house so I chopped up some red onion)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons flaxseed or canola oil
3 cups baby spinach leaves

Bring water, 1/4 teaspoon curry powder, and salt to a boil in small saucepan. Stir in couscous; cover & remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix together chickpeas, apple, turkey, scallions, lemon juice, oil & remaining curry powder. Add the couscous & toss until well combined. Divide the spinach onto two plates and top each plate with an even amount of couscous mixture. Then, enjoy!

The book says this recipe is 8 Points Plus per serving. I think this depends on the type of couscous that is used because with or without the extra turkey that I added, my dish still came out to 9 Points Plus per serving. 9 Points Plus for dinner might sound a little bit high for some, but this dish is worth it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment