Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lentil and Black Bean Chili

I am always looking for simple, healthy, one dish, low point recipes. Tonight, I made Weight Watchers Lentil & Black Bean Chili and it was all of the above. Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cup dry lentils (French-variety) I just used regular Goya lentils
1 tbsp olive oil (I omitted this)
1 large uncooked onion, diced
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
29 oz canned diced tomatoes, fire roasted with chils, undrained (I used Dole brand with chipotle chiles) (I also used 2 average sized cans) 
31 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained (I used 2 average sized cans)
1/2 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped (I omitted this)
Instructions:
Place lentils in a large sauce pan and cover with water by several inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are tender but retain a little bite, about 10 to 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper and garlic, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.

In a cup, combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt; add to skillet and stir well to combine. Cook, stirring often, about 1 minute.

Add tomatoes and their juice, and beans to skillet; stir well to combine. Cover skillet and simmer so flavors can blend, about 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in lentils and cilantro; serve. Yields 1 cup per serving. Makes 8 servings. 6 Points Plus per serving.

*If you make this recipe using my changes, you should get 10 cups of this chili at only 3 Points Plus a cup! For dinner tonight I had a cup and a half of chili (5 points plus), mixed in 2 tablespoons of sour cream (1 points plus), 1 WW string cheese (1 points plus), and 1 hard taco shell broken up on top (1 points plus). This dish was yummy and filling. I would definitely make this again!*




No comments:

Post a Comment