Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chocolate Ricotta Dessert

What Italian does not like Ricotta Cheese? I have been eating it since I was a little girl. Every pasta dinner at Grandma's started off with a heaping scoop of Ricotta (or "Rigawt" is what it sounds like in Jersey slang) on the bottom of the plate, then topped with spaghetti, sauce, meatballs, etc. Pizzagaina, calzones, and many of the best Italian desserts are all made with Ricotta cheese. As you might guess, I almost always have some in my refrigerator! I have to say, if you can find the brand Sam Maulucci & Son, I would recommend you pick some of that up because it is by far some of the best Ricotta I have ever tasted. I have not seen that brand in a low fat or fat free version so I usually buy that one for special occasions like when I make my Italian Ricotta cookies or Manicotti  ("Manigawt") for my husband. I always buy Calabro's cheese and it is DELICIOUS! In my experience, many things (especially cheese) that are labeled fat free actually TASTE fat free and kind of gross. You will not get that with Calabro's. Their fat free Ricotta is delicious and only 1 Points Plus per half a cup! Often times for a snack I will measure out a half of a cup of cheese and top it with blueberries and strawberries and it's a nice, filling, 1 Points Plus treat. The other night I was craving something chocolaty for dessert so I decided to use Ricotta. Here is my recipe:

1/2 cup of fat free Ricotta Cheese (Calabro's is highly recommended!)
1 tablespoon unsweetened dark cacao powder (I used Hershey's)
1 individual sized bar of chocolate, chopped into pieces (I used 1 dark chocolate Ghirardelli's square & smashed it into pieces with my meat tenderizer)
Stevia (as much or as little as you like)
Whipped cream (optional) (I used 6 tablespoons of fat free reddi-wip because it is 0 points!)

Measure out half of a cup of Ricotta and put it your favorite bowl. Mix in the Stevia and dark cacao powder until well blended. Then, stir in the dark chocolate pieces and top with some whipped cream and you have yourself a delicious chocolaty dessert for only 3 Points Plus value!

*Note: If you are following Weight Watchers, make sure to check the individual nutrition facts on all of your products. Calabro's cheese is 1 Points Plus per half of a cup but most cheeses are 2 Points Plus.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy and easy to make, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren

    Like yur blogspot these recipes look good..and best of all is yur heartfelt stories...thanks.
    Can u recommend a Chocolate ice cream with not too many calories/fat but that taste good!

    Just joined "Blogger' so i could see & respnond to you. Keep up the great work..LuvLydia





    blooger changes4Lydia.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lydia! I love Edy's slow churn. I have never been disappointed in any of their flavors. My favorite is the Rocky Road because it is chocolate ice cream with toppings mixed in AND it is only 3 points plus per serving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *really sounds good, my sister is the one i was asking for because she just loves...chocolate..any form any kind..i will let her know about Edy's slow churn rocky road..

      Thanks
      keep up the good work..and your fab stories and wonderful tidbits of info!

      Delete
  4. I have tried this before minus the broken up chocolate bar and it is very good and satisfying when I have a "sweet tooth". Thanks for always sharing your special tips.

    ReplyDelete