Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Quinoa Veggie Salad

Quinoa is one of the healthiest foods we can eat! It's rich in protein, fiber, iron and magnesium. Here is a link to an article discussing 7 benefits of this supergrain: 7 Benefits of Quinoa. Truthfully, I used to be afraid of Quinoa... I always heard people say that if it is not prepared correctly it tastes like dirt, so I never really wanted to try my hand at making it. It was only this past year that I even tasted it... people at work brought it in and it was amazing! But, I still didn't have the confidence to cook it myself... until yesterday. For my first time, I think I did a pretty good job! I want to experiment with it more but I am happy with my final results. Here is what I used:

1 cup of cooked Quinoa
Curry powder (to taste)
Hoisen sauce, 1 Tbps
Soy sauce, 2 tsp
Garlic, diced (to taste)
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
Onion, chopped (to taste)
Yellow squash, diced, 1/2 of a medium
Green pepper, diced, 1/2 of a medium
Tomato, diced, 1/2 of a medium
Baby kale (or baby spinach) 1 1/2 cups
Turkey breast (cut up) (2 oz)

First, cook the Quinoa according to the package in either chicken broth or in water with curry powder mixed in (this depends on how spicy you like it). Meanwhile, in a frying pan on medium heat, saute the garlic and onions until slightly tender. In a separate bowl, mix Quinoa, soy sauce, hoisen sauce, curry powder, & crushed red pepper. Add mixture to the skillet. Then add the squash, green pepper and turkey breast and stir. I only left the mixture on the heat for about 3 minutes because I like my veggies crunchy, but if you enjoy softer vegetables then I would suggest cooking it for longer. After everything is cooked, pour the Quinoa mixture onto a bed of baby kale or baby spinach and top with tomatoes. This whole meal was filling, healthy, and only 6 Points Plus on Weight Watchers!

Notes: I apologize that my measurements are not accurate, but I generally just cook "to taste." Also, this picture does not do the dish justice. I actually put the tomatoes on top of the kale first and then added the Quinoa mixture, that is one you only see one little tomato peaking through. I hope you all like it!
Attempt #1

Attempt #2: I made it again for lunch today except I put the tomatoes on top this time!




No comments:

Post a Comment